Resistance attacks rise in Iraq
Published Apr 20, 2005 3:40 PM
Just when Washington, the Pentagon and the
corporate media thought it was safe to hype that the war in Iraq was
“winding down” because the Iraqi insurgents were being defeated, the
resistance has proved them wrong again.
This upsurge in resistance has not
made headlines in the U.S. monopolized media, which has such strong ties to the
military-industrial complex that it marches in lock-step on the war.
here is some of the news coverage gathered from the media abroad of attacks that
targeted U.S. forces from just a two-day period—April 15 and
Three GIs were killed and seven wounded in a mortar attack on the U.S.
military camp in Ramadi, west of Baghdad.
A suicide car bomb detonated as
a Pentagon military convoy passed through Mosul.
A Turkish truck carrying
supplies to refresh U.S. troops came under siege in Baiji and was burned. Also
near Baiji, in Al-Fat’ha, insurgents attempted to attack the oil
A military base for U.S. troops and puppet Iraqi forces in
Al-Touz, north of Baghdad, came under rocket fire.
A GI died during an
attack on the Pentagon base in Tikrit.
Two other U.S. troops were killed
in Al-Anbar Province on April 13 and 14.
Divide and conquer
Would-be emperors in Washington have borrowed a page from the
military manuals of the Roman Empire by using divide-and-conquer tactics to try
to drive wedges between Shias, Sunnis and Kurds.
The Pentagon brass
ordered their troops and three battalions of Iraqi soldiers to cordon the town
of Madain on April 17. The rationale was that there were rumors Sunni militants
had kidnapped as many as 100 Shiite residents.
An estimated 1,000 families
live in the town, 15 miles south of the capital. The population is half Shiite
and half Sunni.
An AP photographer and a video journalist reported that
the Pentagon-led troop force sealed off the town April 17 based on the story of
“mass kidnappings” and threats of large-scale executions of hostages
Inside the town, however, “People were going about
their business normally, shops were open and tea houses were full, [the video
journalist] said. Residents contacted by telephone also said everything was
normal in Madain. And American military officials said they were unaware of any
U.S. role in what had been described as a tense sectarian standoff in which the
Sunni militants were threatening to kill their Shiite captives if all other
Shiites did not leave the town.” (AP, April 18)
“[B]ut residents disputed that, with some saying they had seen no evidence
of any hostages.”
Sheikh Abdul Salam al-Kubaisi, spokesperson for
the Sunni clerical Association of Muslim Scholars, also refuted the claims of
hostage taking. “This news is completely untrue,” he told Al-Jazeera
Iraqi quisling troops, backed up by U.S. military forces,
began raids in the town April 16 under the guise of freeing hostages.
following day Haidar Khayon—an official of the U.S.-appointed
“Defense Ministry” that operates under imperialist
occupation—reported that Iraqi forces had freed about 15 Shiite families
and captured five hostage takers. “By the end of the day, however, Iraqi
officials had produced no hostages, and Iraqi military officials and police who
had given information about the troubles in Madain could not be reached for
further details.” (Boston.com)
Madain is in what the U.S. military
has dubbed the “Triangle of Death” because of the strong Sunni
resistance to the imperialist occupation.
Armed with what have proven to
be baseless reports in an occupation in which all news is ultimately controlled
by the Pentagon, “National Security Minister” Qassim Dawoud
announced to “Parliament” on April 17 that the U.S. and Iraqi forces
sent to Madain were planning a large-scale assault on the region by week’s
end. (Guardian Unlimited, April 18)
Articles copyright 1995-2012 Workers World.
Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is permitted in any medium without royalty provided this notice is preserved.
Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011
Support independent news DONATE