More than a million people marched in some 800 cities around the United States insisting on an end to violence on March 24. Whatever their specific demands, the demonstration, led by high school and even younger students, was directed against the ultrarightists of the National Rifle Association and the Trump regime, telling them to stop the violence.
No one threatens more violence these days than the Armed Forces of the United States of America. The political challenge for those who understand the threat the Pentagon poses to people all over the world is to bring this message to those same youths who took to the streets on March 24, many protesting for the first time in their lives.
The recent personnel changes in the Donald Trump administration, including appointing superhawk John Bolton as national security advisor and Mike Pompeo to run the State Department, have placed an even more ultraright gang to run the imperialist machinery. (See article by Fred Goldstein.)
There is an opportunity right now to bring this message to the youth and mobilize against the war drive. The Spring Actions 2018 Coalition, supported by dozens of anti-war and anti-imperialist organizations, including the International Action Center, and hundreds of individuals, has called for anti-war demonstrations on April 14-15 in cities all over the country.
The demonstrations will call for:
- End U.S. overt and covert wars, drone wars, sanction/embargo wars and death squad assassination wars.
- Close all U.S. bases on foreign soil. Dismantle all nuclear weapons.
- Bring all U.S. troops home now. Self-determination, not military intervention. U.S. hands off the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- End military aid to apartheid Israel. Self-determination for Palestine. The U.S. cannot be the cop of the world.
- $Trillions for human needs … for jobs and social services, quality, debt-free education and single payer health care. No to anti-union legislation. For $15 and a union now.
- Defend the environment against life-threatening, fossil-fuel-induced global warming. For a just transition to a 100 percent clean, sustainable energy system at union wages for all displaced workers.
- No to white supremacy, police brutality/murder. End racist mass incarceration. Black Lives Matter.
- No human being is illegal. No to mass deportations. Yes to DACA [Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program] and TPS [temporary protective status].
UNAC says in its call: “The U.S. government and its leading Pentagon generals openly and repeatedly threatened nuclear war or massive military intervention against sovereign nations. Such is the case today with North Korea, Iran and Venezuela. Simultaneously, U.S. military forces are at war in several nations including Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, and Somalia. Hundreds of U.S. military bases circle the globe in more than 170 foreign countries at the cost of $trillions while these same $trillions are subtracted from critical social programs at home. $Trillions in tax cuts and corporate bailouts are granted to the super rich while the war at home takes on virulent racist, sexist, anti-immigrant, Islamophobic and homophobic forms. Join us!”
Neither the Republican Party nor the Democratic Party establishment will stop the drive to war. Only a mass movement of the people can do it.
Join the march. Build the protest. Make sure the youth who have begun to challenge power know they are welcome to join the fight against imperialist war — the greatest source of violence.
For more information, see springaction2018.org.